Saturday, March 28, 2020

Sloppy Saturday

I'm a scheduler.

I do spreadsheets – color-coded – for work and personal finances. I'm an ISTJ: I like to see my plans sitting in front of me, minutes blocked out, ready to execute.

We do a schedule for our kids every day. We did it even before this, and it wasn't actually my doing. Our kids like certainties, always have. They like the schedule, especially the young lady, who will tell us when we're not following it.

Today, the schedule cracked and fell apart in various places. We were all grumpy today, and since we sprang for Disney Plus yesterday, we just spent some time putting that on for the kids. We took an extra-long screen break in the afternoon. We vegged out. I didn't run around with the kids too much outside because it's getting old. They say we could be riding this out through May. I'm a patient person who likes routines, but I'm finding myself more restless, irritable, and dissatisfied. I have time, so I have time to do that later. It's tempting to slack off and do my school planning last minute.

It was a sloppy day, but at least the weeds on the south fence of the property are gone. At least my kids are still alive. At least the last load of dishes is in. At least I've got some snail bait out for whatever is eating the new pepper plants and marigolds I've put on the side of the house, and I sure hope it's snails that are eating them.

I have to tell myself that it's okay to relax the routine a little from time to time. We will be okay if we take a day to disappear into virtual entertainment for a little bit. We're in better shape than most, I think. I just wonder: how long can we maintain it?

Lots of people are reading quite a bit. I'm not there yet, other than reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe to the kids. I have a lot of other things on my mind. I am reading a lot of media coverage of the pandemic, which seems terribly important in order to make the best decisions but equally draining.

I have to figure out some different ways to take care of myself during our confinement without dropping the ball on my responsibilities. It will be tough. The walls are starting to close in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment